Rhodes, the island of the Knights
Rhodes is the capital of the Dodecanese, the island complex in south-eastern Aegean.
Rhodes is a medieval treasure beautifully preserved throughout the centuries. Wander around its magnificent Old City, surrounded by medieval walls with seven gates, and admire the Palace of the Grand Master, the most awe- inspiring building in the whole island. Take a romantic stroll around the famous Street of the Knights and feel like a holy warrior in shining armour, or a noble princess. Peer into the historic past of the city with a visit to the Archaeological Museum.
Mandráki, the (ancient) harbour, is distinguished from the outer harbour by the 3 windmills and the fortifications at the end of the dock. During your quest, you will encounter some of the city’s most remarkable buildings: the National Theatre, the Courts, the City Hall and the Governors Palace.
Visit stunning wonders of nature, such as the Seven Springs, the Valley of the Butterflies and Rodíni Park, a green valley with running waters, small bridges and many peacocks, the trademark of the park! Get a deeper insight into the rich history of the island through your visit to the breathtaking Acropolis of Líndos and Ialissós as well as Ancient Kámiros, which were all powerful cities in ancient times. Well-preserved castles, like the ones of Kritinia and Monólithos are also waiting to be discovered!
- Find out more on the history, natural and archaeological sites of Rhodes at: http://www.visitgreece.gr/en/greek_islands/dodecanese/rhodes (by visitgreece.gr, the official tourism web site for Greece, by the Greek National Tourism Organisation)
- Rodos Tourism Promotion Organisation proposes what to see and experience in Rhodes: http://www.rodosisland.gr/en/see-do-rodos.asp
- The Aquarium of Rhodes. The Hydrobiological Station of Rhodes also operates as a research museum, hosting the aquarium and an exhibition area added in 1971-1972, on the north side of the building. The Aquarium is within easy reach of the town, either by walking or cycling along the seaside road from the town of Rhodes. Alternatively, it can be reached by bus, car or taxi. (http://rhodes-aquarium.hcmr.gr/)
You have several options of transportation to visit the Island:
- Coach or boat Sightseeing Tours organized by local travel agents
- Car/Motorbike rentals
- Regular public bus service